Thursday, September 11, 2014

We're on the A team...and it doesn't include Mr. T




The A team I'm talking about is Alzheimers...and this is a team you get signed up for without your permission.  I'm pretty sure Mr. T would NOT be down with this, "I pity the fool!"

But seriously....As I've gotten older, I've realized many things continue to be 100% completely out of my control.  You are saying "Duh Davida"!.  So I came up with a list of things that I have absolutely no control over:

the weather: including the pollen count!
the gas line at Fred Meyer
that when I get my car washed it rains the next day
aging
my height
paying taxes (well I could but probably not a great idea)

...But I had no idea what that really meant until April 2013 when my mom was diagnosed with "Mild Cognitive Impairment with concerns for the early onset of Alzheimer's." And just like that, my world was turned (and continues to be) upside down, sideways, backwards and forwards--all at the same time.  

Recently  I was visiting my best friend from 1st grade and mentioned to her that I was thinking to dust off my old blog.  She completely agreed and this post is the result!  I need a way to communicate what really IS going on without having to say it over and over.  There are days when I want to talk about this ugly disease that is plaguing my mom's brain and robbing her of total enjoyment of her retired life.  But more often than not, there are more days that I don't really want to talk about it and don't really want to go into all the details because there usually are a few.  My hope for this blog is not only a safe place for me to share but also provide insight into what its like to be a caregiver for your parent when it feels like I still have my own life to live!!!

I welcome your comments and desire to share, but please be respectful of my privacy and not post this blog on facebook.   I hope you can at least take a moment and find out what it is like to be in my shoes on this journey.  Thanks for reading!

No comments: