Saturday, September 27, 2014

Asking for what you want...

...is always easier said than done.  But I had a small victory this week by actually asking for what I want and need.  After really thinking through my decision about going to San Diego for Christmas, I came to realize that I needed to just simply call and discuss this with my brother one last time before I decided to purchase any tickets.  

Honestly, I didn't want to go for a TON of reasons, but more importantly that we have some major business details to take care of for my mom and really think that my time is better spent dealing with those things over my winter break than traveling.  It does feel selfish, but I'd rather spend that time taking care of some of these things and have the flexibility to do what I want.  It seems like most of the holidays I spend with my parents are more about their needs than mine.  I am learning to finally speak up and ask for what i want, but its hard.

I hope to talk to my mom soon and suggest that I come get her and bring her to my house for a few days.  In that time, I also hope to update her will and maybe even have Christmas with my cousins and Aunt.  We'll see.  

My brother and I ended up having a great conversation about some action steps that need to happen.  He committed to making a list of business contacts that we need to collect so that when I go down to see her in a week I can gather as much as I can and begin the process of gathering information for her.  I committed to emailing her financial advisor asking to meet with him to find out where she stands financially and also contacting my cousin and suggesting we do Christmas with mom and Aunt Shirley.    

So, we are postponing the trip until february and I am in the process of taking care of the following:

*Will:  updating
*Bills:  getting passwords/online information
*LTC:  updating contact information for both me and my brother
*Douglas Anderson:  set up meeting
*House:  clean out
*Evergreen Hospital: Gerantologist
*Medications:  current medication
*Medicare:  HOw much/when
*Church:  Westminister Chapel:  Pastor Gary/Ralph




No comments: